Thursday, September 23, 2010

Selwa, Koether, Noor ch 4: Waiting on the centerfuge

This is the last bit about Noor, before the story begins to follow Koether more closely. I'm kind of having a hard time figuring out exactly who Noor is. I kind of want her to be a very calm person, but I'm not sure if that's really the case, and I don't think that's how she comes across in here. By the way, in Arabic 'auntie' would really be 'Khala', that's actually what Noor would be calling her aunt. 


Auntie! Are you okay? Called Noor.
I’m fine, habibti. I’m just finishing washing these clothes.
Can I help? offered Noor.
No, no, I’ve already gotten them in the washer. Go out and wait with the others, I’ll be right out.
Noor stepped away from the wash room and walked down the hall, with the stormy sound of the clothes-washer doing its business receding behind her. She joined her cousins at the front door.
- Noor, did you know? Amer said, as she settled on the front step between Mariam and Zeezee in her adorable red-and-white. Mariam finally lost her last baby tooth!
- oh, let me see! Noor placed her hand under Mariam’s pearly chin and tilted it upwards. Smile! Look at you! you look so cute.
Mariam laughed blushingly.
so, said Noor, winking at Amer, what did the tooth fairy get you?
silly, laughed Mariam again. There’s no tooth fairy.
- Well, well, we are quite mature! Exclaimed Noor. But are you sure? Are you positive? Cause I know a ten-year-old in Sweden who was quite sure she saw some fairy dust sprinkled over the krona she found under her pillow. You mean the tooth fairy didn’t leave you anything?
- Noor, Noor, you can’t say things like that, Zeezee broke in.
Noor steeled herself for one of Zeezee’s I’m-a-grown-8-year-old lectures, as betokened by Zeezee’s hop and step as she did a peculiar in-place march in front of Noor’s face.
- When Johanne – this was Zeezee’s school-teacher – tried telling me that the tooth fairy would come after I lost my tooth when we all ate carrots at snack-time, Mama called him later to say that Muslims don’t believe in that, even if the Danes do, and that he can’t things like that in class. And when I saw him the next day, he said he was sorry.
With resolve, Noor managed not to roll her eyes.
Auntie actually called him about that?
Yes. And she made him promise not to say things like that again.
- Well, that is a relief! nodded Noor sarcastically, reaching forward to readjust Zeezee’s crisp white headscarf. We should stomp out fairy corruption wherever we find it! Zeezee, please hold still so you’ll look presentable at the showcase. Any case, I wonder what’s taking Auntie so long. We need to leave right away, or else we’ll be late.
Still digesting the story of the misfortunate lost tooth, Noor made her way back to the washroom. It was empty, but Auntie poked her head out of the bedroom next door, which Zeezee and Mariam shared.
what are you up to, auntie? Asked Noor.
- Oh, I was just going through Zeezee’s drawer’s, straightening her clothes. You know how she keeps things a mess!
- oh, but auntie, we have to leave now. Zeezee is introducing the showcase, we can’t get there late!
- I know, I know, we won’t be late, we’ve got a couple more minutes.
- okay, auntie, please let me help you get this cleaning done faster, begged Noor. Somehow, she felt very responsible for bringing her Muslim family on-time to the punctual event.
- let’s see, why don’t you straighten the prayer rugs and prayer clothes in that closet over there, while I get Zeezee and Mariam’s outfits ready for tomorrow.
Noor stared.
- of course, aunt, I’ll really hurry. She moved swiftly to pull open the closet door, while auntie rummaged further in Zeezee’s room.
- is there anything else we need to do, asked Noor, feeling slightly desperate. Was, perhaps, the clock on the wall early?
- well, said auntie thoughtfully, I wish there was, but really I’m ready to go. It’s just that I’m waiting for the clothes-washer.
- oh, auntie, you’ve already gotten the load started! Why are we waiting?
- I just need it to start the centerfuge, explained her aunt apologetically. You see, sometimes in the centerfuge the washer makes strange noises and starts jumping around. I always stop it and untangle the clothes if that happens.
- what happens if you don’t? asked Noor.
- I’ve never left house with the centerfuge still not on, so I really don’t know, admitted auntie, as she straightened coats and winter shawls packed on the upper shelves. Don’t worry, habibti, it should start any minute now.
- I’m sure it will, agreed Noor limply, glancing anxiously at the clock.
- Noor, you go and get uncle to start the car, and get everyone in the car, so you’ll be ready as soon as I’m done.
Suppressing a groan, Noor turned to follow her aunt’s orders. The car started up, the children squeezed themselves into the back seat.
- good thing Selwa’s not here, and you’re in her place! Exclaimed Amer, as Zeezee bounced noisily on his lap.
- Zeezee, please calm down, commanded Noor, as Zeezee’s elbow pecked sharply at her ribs.
She twisted herself around against the car door.
how is Selwa doing? Asked Noor.
Fine, fine, said uncle from the driver’s seat
But not engaged yet, added Amer.
- They say she’s fatter than ever, laughed Zeezee. They say all she does is eat grandmother’s cooking! We’d never fit in the car if she was here.
- watch out now, teased Noor, leaning over to poke Zeezee in the stomach. Zeezee squealed. You might end up just like her.
- that was why Selwa left, added Amer. Not to get married, but so we could all breathe again in the car.
- Amer, stop, complained Mariam.
- Amer! Said uncle from the front.
- yes, it’s bad luck to talk like that, chimed in Noor. Zeezee, remember about the showcase.
Noor looked at the car clock.
should I go get aunt?
- No, leave her to come at her own time, advised Amer. When she washing clothes, nothing can bring her out, except maybe if the Queen walked in and ordered her. And maybe not even then.
- but I just don’t want Zeezee to be late.
- Noor, it’s okay, assuaged Zeezee. Don’t you want clean clothes tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment